Acer Palmatum Japanese Maple (also known as A. Palmatum) is a medium-sized, hardy deciduous ornamental tree that is very popular in gardens and landscapes in temperate areas for the beautiful burnt red colour of its foliage. Acer Palmatum Japanese Maple provides a stunning display of colour. Acer Palmatum Japanese Maple is commonly grown in a wide range of soil types ranging from sandy loams through to heavier clays, with the plant able to tolerate variable soil moisture levels.
Like all Maple varieties, Acer Palmatum Japanese Maple is also suitable as a bonsai, provided the seeds are germinated in either Jiffy pellets for a shallow compact root system, or in a low-organic matter soil to ensure the plants are not very vigorous. If the young plants are not being started in Jiffy pellets, the tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8 - 12 weeks of germination, to ensure the plant remains optimally suited for bonsai.
Advantages of Acer Palmatum Japanese Maple
- Medium ornamental tree
- Spectacular display for every season
- Attractive landscaping variety
- Suitable as a specimen
- Ideal as bonsai plant
- 2 - 3 m height in 5 years, but can grow as tall as 6m+ over the years
- 1.5 m apart is suitable planting distance (as a screen) though these are generally planted as features
- Suitable for full sun
- Drought and waterlogged-soil tolerant once established
- Suitable for pots but best grown in temperate regions of Australia
- Hardy deciduous tree
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Acer Palmatum Japanese Maple
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes