Zamia Furfuracea Cardboard Cycad is also commonly known as the Cardboard Palm, however is not a true palm, but remains one of the most popular modern, high-end landscaping and specimen plants in the world due to its unique thick foliar rosette and the spectacular texture of the individual leaflets. Zamia Furfuracea Cardboard Cycad are great landscaping plants, particularly in slightly shaded areas and are also suitable for gardens where there is foot traffic or children have access to, as the ends of the leaflets are rounded, unlike the majority of other cycad species.
Despite the spectacular appeal of Zamia Furfuracea Cardboard Cycad, the plants are very robust. They are generally pest and disease resistant and handle a very diverse range of growing conditions from very hot environments as they are drought tolerant, though to seaside areas that are exposed sea spray. Unlike many of the common and wild varieties of Cycads which tend to grow irregularly and are often difficult to establish, Zamia Furfuracea Cardboard Cycad is highly suitable for landscape applications because of its reliably superior performance. Similarly, as a hardy cycad variety, Zamia Furfuracea Cardboard Cycad is often a preferred species for the establishment of exotic looking bonsai specimens. Common names of Zamia Furfuracea Cardboard Cycad include, Cardboard Sago, Cardboard Plant, Mexican Cycad, Japanese Sago amongst others.
Advantages of Zamia Furfuracea Cardboard Cycad
- Strong healthy bold foliage is ideal for landscaping
- Beautiful specimen plant ideal for high-impact feature
- Extra-low maintenance (very hardy)
- Also suitable for bonsai
- 80 - 100cm height in the first 3-5 years, but can get a little larger over the years
- 100cm apart is suitable planting distance though these are generally planted as clumped features
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Drought & mild salinity tolerant
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Zamia Furfuracea Cardboard Cycad
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes