Wisteria Sinensis Hekigan is a premium cultivar of blue (mauve) flowering true wisteria. The variety Hekigan (blue eyes - in Japanese) is a fast growing deciduous climber with glossy bronze green leaves that produces beautiful leguminous mauve flowers in striking grape like bunches. The flowers are very long lasting and provide a spectacular display over an extended period in both garden and more formal landscape settings.
Wisteria Sinensis Hekigan is perfect for growing along fences, on a trellis or pergola, throughout an established tree or many other applications, as the foliage provides a stunning display of colour and useful shade during the warmer months, then in the cooler months the deciduous plant allows light to filter through as well as the sight of the beautiful bark-lined ornate trunk and stems.
Wisteria Sinensis Hekigan is a very strong garden performer which is both drought and frost tolerant once established, requires very little maintenance and is very resilient towards many common pests and diseases.
Wisteria Sinensis Hekigan is particularly suited for creating DIY bonsai as the plant responds well to the early training and wiring.
Important note: Wisteria Sinensis "Hekigan™" is a true Wisteria, as per the images in this listing. In contrast, seeds sold as "Tree Wisteria" are generally NOT actually Wisterias and are instead seeds of Bolusanthus species, a mauve flowering tree. If you are after a premium (real) Wisteria, be aware of misleading images that are actually the inferior Bolusanthus species.
Advantages of Wisteria Hekigan
- Spectacular blue (mauve) flowers
- Beautiful flowering climbing vine
- Suitable for woody bonsai
- Hardy deciduous perennial
- 2 - 5 m height at maturity (if left untrimmed)
- 1m apart is suitable planting distance
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Drought & frost tolerant (once established)
- Will grow in most regions of Australia, but prefers temperate environments.
- Perennial plant fully mature in 2 - 3 years
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Wisteria Sinensis Hekigan
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes