Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss is a relatively hardy, low-profile (2 - 3cm high) perennial groundcover used in a diverse range of landscaping applications for its ability to form a dense turf-like mat of fine green moss-like cover. Whilst not a true moss, Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss is still sensitive to full sun and therefore is best grown in shaded and relatively moist parts of the garden, or in pots and the indoors, where Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss does very well. As its name suggests, Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss is perfectly suited as the perennial moss at the base of bonsai plants in pots.
The variety Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss is suitable as a turf-replacement in areas with very light traffic, in shaded rockery gardens, in pots and a countless range of cottage or more modern designer gardens (such as oriental) where this low-maintenance plant is a reliable performer, adding sophisticated but classic texture. The plants form a mat of deep green that provide an excellent contrast for structural features (walls, edging, water feature) or exemplify the colour of flowering plants in the garden, teasing out bright reds, oranges, yellows and purples that contrast spectacularly against the soft green. Generally in Spring, if Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss receives enough sunlight, it may also produce a mass of small white flowers that are generally short-lived, however for much of the year the plant is generally a flower-free clump of moss-like plant.
Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss is often used for planting in cottage gardens around trees, or other areas where it may be difficult to establish grass, particularly in shaded areas. One of the most popular uses of Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss is planting between pavers, or garden steps and along pathways where the green is self-sustaining and does not require any maintenance.
Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss is an improved selection of the widely cultivated Sagina Subulara, with improved resilience, and resistance to yellowing that can occur in some of the more common varieties.
It should be noted that seeds of Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss are very small and special care needs to be taken when sowing seeds to ensure successful germination. Full instructions outlined in the Free Propagation Notes supplied with every purchase. For best results, we recommend the use of our Plant Propagation Kit (also available from our online store).
Advantages of Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss
- Stylish landscaping plant
- Attractive moss groundcover
- Suitable for garden & bonsai
- Ideal for moist rockeries & pots
- 2 - 3 cm height at maturity
- Plant can spread up to 25cm
- Close sowing distance will assist in more rapid establishment
- Prefers part-shaded aspect
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Hardy evergreen perennial
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Sagina Mijikai Bonsai Moss
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes