Morus Papyrifera Ornamental Mulberry a hardy deciduous tree native to southwestern Asia which has been cultivated for centuries across much of Europe and the Middle East. Unlike the Morus Nigra Black Mulberry tree which produce a small 15 - 20mm burgundy-black fruit which can be quite messy if it is near residential areas, Morus Papyrifera Ornamental Mulberry should be considered as a less messy alternative. Morus Papyrifera Ornamental Mulberry provides similar orange-red colour, is still a member of the Mulberry family, just without the fruit, with beautiful orange-red flowers instead.
Morus Papyrifera Ornamental Mulberry is a relatively quick growing medium-sized tree with a naturally rounded shape. The tree produces orange-red flowers in Spring and into Summer and in Autumn the leaves of the tree gradually turn a banana yellow, before dropping to reveal the beautifully ornate architecture of the tree.
Morus Papyrifera Ornamental Mulberry should tree to be planted in large open areas where the tree can grow comfortably into a majestic specimen tree that will be appreciated for generations to come as this is an extremely long-lived tree.
Morus Papyrifera Ornamental Mulberry is also suitable as a bonsai, provided the germinated seeds are grown in a low-organic matter soil, to ensure the plant is not to vigorous. The tap-root should either be snipped or curled (J-rooted) within the first 8-weeks, to ensure the plant remains suitable for bonsai.
Advantages of Morus Papyrifera Ornamental Mulberry
- Orange-red flowers in Spring & Summer
- Beautiful Autumn colour
- Elegant ornamental rounded tree
- Spectacular display for every season
- Attractive landscaping variety
- Hardy deciduous tree
- Suitable as a specimen for bonsai
- 3 - 4 m height in the first 5 years, but can grow as tall as 8-10m over the years
- This variety is generally planted as a feature at spacings greater than 5m
- Prefers full sun aspect
- Drought tolerant once established and highly frost tolerant
- Suitable for pots but best grown in temperate regions of Australia
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Morus Papyrifera Ornamental Mulberry
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes