Ginkgo Biloba Maidenhair Tree is an amazingly beautiful architectural plant often grown as a feature/specimen tree by discerning horticultural experts (this species features in many of the most famous Botanical Gardens in the world). The uniquely elegant foliage is defined by parallel venation in the leaves, which also turn a beautiful lemon yellow in Autumn and provide a spectacular display through the seasons.
Whilst mature trees can reach 10 - 20m (much larger in native habitat), Ginkgo Biloba Maidenhair Tree grown in Australia as a feature on the nature strip, in a large garden to provide some size, most trees generally reach approximately 5m in the first 10 years of growth (from seed).
The leaves and seeds of Ginkgo Biloba Maidenhair Tree are believed to have medicinal properties ranging from increased cognitive responses, memory retention and as a much coveted aphrodisiac in ancient times.
Many millions of years ago, this ancient species inhabited much of the northern hemisphere, however these days is only native to two provinces in mainland China.
Common names for Ginkgo Biloba include, Maidenhair Tree, Ginko, Gingko, Tree Ginkgo amongst others.
Advantages of Ginkgo Biloba Maidenhair Tree
- Elegant deciduous tree
- Extremely unique species
- Beautiful architectural plant
- Long-lived specimen tree
- Hardy once established
- Suitable for bonsai
- 10m+ height at maturity (however relatively slow growing)
- As this is a specimen tree, spacings of greater than 5m are advisable
- Suitable for part-shade but prefers full sun
- Drought and frost tolerant once established
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Deciduous tree requiring 10+ years to be fully mature
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Ginkgo Biloba Maidenhair Tree
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes