The variety Diospryros Sugar Plum Persimmon is a premium persimmon variety selected for its desirable qualities, including early-yielding traits on a healthy plant, not to mention the tastiest persimmon fruit imaginable. This popular variety produces large, bright orangee fruit, which actually taste the way persimmon should! Fragrant, sweet and juicy with a smooth texture. This variety very much lives up to its name, sugar plum. Diospryros Sugar Plum Persimmon like all persimmon varieties produced fruit which begin to ripen as the night time temperatures start to fall, typically in late Autumn with plants covered with fruit heading into providing cheerful colour around the garden, not to mention a bountiful harvest.
Persimmon plants are best grown in sub-tropical to temperate environments and require at least a few cool nights (chill period) to thrive and produce fruit. Like all persimmon varieties, Diospryros Sugar Plum Persimmon will need to be planted into soil high in organic matter, requires a sunny spot in the garden and for the leaves to remain dry during watering. Diospryros Sugar Plum Persimmon is generally pest and disease resistant if the leaves are kept dry, however the bigger challenge will be keeping adventurous birds from devouring the fruits of your labour!
Important note: We only sell the very best fruit seed varieties and Persimmon is no exception. Many of the "traditional" varieties, have poor disease resistance, require a long period before producing fruit and of course produce persimmon fruit that is much smaller than the premium cultivar varieties we have all come to enjoy.
Advantages of Diospryros Sugar Plum Persimmon
- Early fruiting table variety
- Heavy-yielding variety
- Sweet and juicy large fruit
- Robust plant, provided it has sufficient nutrition, particularly calcium, potassium and phosphorus
- 3 - 4m height at maturity
- 3 - 4m apart is suitable planting distance
- Requires full sun and prefers organic soils
- Will grow in most regions of Australia but can develop mildews in continually humid weather (needs at least a few cold winter nights to fruit)
- Hardy deciduous tree
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Diospryros Sugar Plum Persimmon
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes