Cycad Sago Palm is not a true palm, however is one of the most popular high-end landscaping and specimen plants in the world due to its deep green structural foliage rosette and the spectacular texture of the trunk as the plants get older. For seasoned gardeners and landscapers alike, nothing beats waiting with bated breath to observe Cycad Sago Palm put on its next burst of growth in Spring, starting with the woolly emergence of the fronds, the silvery undersides and eventually the glossy unfurling fronds. Truly amazing.
Despite the spectacular appeal of Cycad Sago Palm, the plants are actually very robust. They are generally pest and disease resistant and handle a very diverse range of growing conditions from very hot to quite cold, and are also drought tolerant. Unlike many of the common and wild varieties of Cycads which tend to grow irregularly and are often difficult to establish, the Cycad Sago Palm is highly suitable for landscape applications because of its superior performance. This hardy variety of Cycad is also commonly used to create spectacular bonsai specimens, either as single plants, or multi-planted forests. Common names of Cycad Sago Palm include, King Sago, Sago Cycad, Japanese Sago Palm.
Advantages of Cycad Sago Palm
- Strong healthy structural foliage is ideal for landscaping
- Beautiful specimen plant ideal for high-impact feature
- Extra-low maintenance (very hardy)
- May also be used to create spectacular bonsai
- 100 - 150cm height in the first 3-5 years, but can get much larger over the years
- 2.5m apart is suitable planting distance though these are generally planted as features
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Drought & frost tolerant
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Cycad Sago Palm (unshelled)
- Seeds of this variety are treated with a natural PGR auxin, proven to increase germination success
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes