Bolusanthus Tree Wisteria is a relatively fast growing deciduous tree planted widely in warm and often arid environments for the stunning display of drooping mauve flowers (resembling real Wisteria flowers) produced by this tree. The gently weeping foliage and textured bark make this a great feature tree, however despite claims by many unscrupulous seed sellers, this variety is not particularly well suited for bonsai as it is a member of the Fabaceae family and does not cope well under typical bonsai conditions.
This variety of Bolusanthus speciosus is often referred to as 'Tree Wisteria' and whilst this much is true, unfortunately misleading images of Wisteria Sinensis (True Wisteria) are often used to sell seeds of Bolusanthus. If you are after a 'True Wisteria', please visit our online store and search for Wisteria Sinensis Hekigan.
In order to highlight the difference between the two types of Wisteria (Tree vs True), we have compared them in an image attached to this listing. Tree Wisteria is on the left and True Wisteria is on the right.
Advantages of Bolusanthus Tree Wisteria
- Spectacular mauve flowers
- Beautiful flowering tree
- Hardy & drought tolerant
- Excellent feature tree
- 2 - 5 m height at maturity (if left untrimmed)
- 3m+ apart is suitable planting distance
- Suitable for part-shade and full sun
- Drought tolerant (once established)
- Will grow in most regions of Australia, but prefers warmer environments
- Perennial plant fully mature in 4 - 8 years
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Bolusanthus Tree Wisteria
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes