Artemisia Absinthium Wormwood is a silver-leafed perennial herb variety grown for a great number of uses. In its most practical application, this variety is effective as a natural insect repellent when planted near outdoor entertainment areas, as it has been found to keep mosquitoes, flies, midges and other annoying insects away. In perhaps a less practical but more mystical application, the popular 2001 film Moulin Rouge depicts a scene featuring Absinthe and the Green Fairy, a hallucination supposedly caused by Absinthe (the alcoholic drink containing extracts from Artemisia Absinthium Wormwood). These properties of Artemisia Absinthium Wormwood are believe to be a result of thujone, a natural psychoactive compound found in the plant. (Source: Wikipedia). The Climbing Fig does not advise the consumption of any parts of the Artemisia Absinthium Wormwood seeds or plant.
In a more conventional use, Artemisia Absinthium Wormwood is useful in broad range of landscaping applications including as a border, hedge or feature plant, as the silver foliage contrasts beautifully against much brighter flowers and green foliage that may be in the garden. Artemisia Absinthium Wormwood is very hardy and usually quite drought tolerant plant, once established.
Advantages of Artemisia Absinthium Wormwood
- Natural insect-repellant for the outdoors
- Beautiful silver foliage
- Suitable as hedge or short screen
- 50-60cm height at maturity
- Plant near herb garden, allowing at least 50cm space
- Prefers full sun but will grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Easy to grow perennial garden herb
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Artemisia Absinthium Wormwood
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes