Adenium Obesum is an intriguing plant species that originates from the tropical and subtropical regions of Africa and has in recent years been cultivated extensively for its exotic glossy foliage, impressive flowers and its signature swollen basal caudex, often making this variety a favourite with bonsai enthusiasts, as well as a range of gardeners as the plant is generally very low maintenance and quite drought tolerant.
Adenium Obesum is generally grown as an evergreen shrub, however, during severe droughts or during cold seasons where the temperature drops below 10ºC, the plant will often revert to its deciduous state until the weather warms up again, generally in the upcoming Spring season.
Whilst there are a range of Adenium varieties that are in cultivation, it is undoubtedly the obesum varieties that are most popularly grown. In recent years, the most exotic varieties of Adenium have originated from Thailand where a range of hybrids have been developed that incorporate a range of improved plant traits as well as a stunning range of exotic flower colours, including many bicolour flowers. These hybrid collections have come to be known as Adenium Obesum Thai Hybrids Mix and include a range of flowers in tones of white, pink, purple, mauve, red and a countless range of bicolour variants.
Due to the hybrid nature of these varieties, it is often difficult to predict the specific colour of each seed, therefore these seeds are sold as a mix of colours.
In addition to offering the highest quality Adenium seeds available, we also provide seed starter packs to assist in the germination of these seeds and subsequent establishment of healthy seedlings. At the very least we recommend the use of GP vermiculite to cover the seeds, and over the years have found coir Jiffy pellets to reliably produce impressive germination results.
- Spectacularly bright flowering variety
- Selection of premium hybrid varieties
- Beautiful deep green glossy foliage
- Drought tolerant once established
- 60 - 80cm+ tall at maturity, or even larger in the tropics
- 1m apart is a suitable planting distance
- Prefers full sun but can grow in part shade
- Suitable for pots and will grow in most regions of Australia
- Easy to grow perennial succulent
Seed Sowing Instructions
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes are provided with every seed purchase
- Seeds of this variety are best started in seed raising mix or Jiffy® pellets before planting into the garden
What am I Purchasing?
- Premium seeds of Adenium Obesum Thai Hybrids Mix
- Easy to follow seed propagation notes